Thursday, March 13, 2008

Rose Atoll Rock-n-Roll

I've just come up from the dive locker where the Hi'ialakai band is cutting their latest hit. There really isn't much missing on this ship ...

Today was another terrific day at Rose Atoll. We spent most of our day in the lagoon collecting water sample and making CTD casts to measure temperature and salinity in the lagoon. There was more of a breeze blowing today which kept things a little cooler than usual under the southern summer sun.

Towards the end of the day I was able to get into the water for a quick snorkel as the oceanography team completed their final casts in the one pass that connects the inner lagoon to the outside ocean. As the tide changes the current rips through this pass making for one wide ride for the lone snorkeling running the rapids (ok ripples). The trip through the pass was pretty quick and once I got to the outside the water turned crystal clear and I was greeted by schools of jacks, parrotfish and a single old barracuda patrolling his territory.

After my brief dip and tour around the reef it was time to get back in the boat and head back to the ship where the rest of my compatriots were waiting. You see, today was my birthday and, as such, I was treated to my ceremonial birthday shower. This time in the form of about 70 gallons of ice mixed with sea-water cast from buckets, coolers, and trash cans from the upper decks as I may my approach to the rail. The cold was biting, but brief.

No comments: